Monday, September 14, 2009

Pie and Fire

Shaun and I have been really enjoying the tail of summer here in Iowa. Eddie bought a house and we spend alot of nights around the fire in his backyard.

A few days ago we were walking through the amazingly beautiful flower gardens at Knowlridge park when I saw this giant spider sitting in it's web.

It was just beautiful!

The watermelon we picked from our friend's garden wasn't quite ripe...

...so we made watermelon rind pickles!

Apparently tomatoes are intolerant to tobacco smoke... as seen in this photo... Charisse's plants died.

So we picked all the green tomatoes, pitched the plants, and Shaun made this beautiful saucy green tomato chutney. I am so tempted to open a jar and eat it by the spoonful.

Here is a little sample of our canning adventures.

Beef stew. With carrots, potatoes, onions, and zucchini. Yum!

The zucchini was giant, so after making stew, breakfast, and dinner, I canned what was left of it with tomatoes, garlic, thyme, and olive oil. It is pretty to look at and will be so delicious!

Hungover Shaun was craving pie. I told him if he would go to the grocery store, I would cook any kind of pie he wanted. He just had to pick out some fruit. The pie turned out peach, with 3 types of peaches! A couple really pretty white peaches, a couple Colorado peaches, and another orange one that lost it's name between the store and home.

The skin of the Colorado peach was so pretty when I was peeling it. It kinda reminded me of a salamander or something.

PIE!

And if you could even immagine a sweeter finish to the night, Shaun made fresh whipped cream by hand! I don't care if I have a heart attack at age 30, my pie was piled high with all the whip cream it could handle.

My only complaint is that I think I overworked the pie crust a little bit. Next time I will strive to make a 'crustier' crust. But overall, I think I did pretty darn good for only having made a scant handful of pies in my life. Knitting, gardening, canning, baking...This 'home-making' stuff must be in my genes. (Thanks mom!)

1 comment: